Case (Research Blog #8)


A case I used to help illustrate my argument and explain my frame is the presence of Single Stop sites on college campuses. This specific case helps show a current effort being made to support students experiencing basic needs insecurity. Single Stop sites help students and their families learn about and access federal benefits and services. The services available include, but are not limited to, food stamps, health insurance, WIC, housing and utility assistance, and financial counseling. It connects with my frame because this program, and others like it, help students meet their physiological needs, making it so that they fulfill the bottom level of Maslow’s Hierarchy, allowing them to achieve higher needs. An aspect of my argument is that schools and the government should be doing more, such as creating or expanding programs, to help more students experiencing food and/or housing insecurity meet their basic needs. This supports my argument by revealing how this program truly benefits students and, by expanding this program or creating others, more students could be helped. The source I am using for this case is a report titled “Clearing the Path to a Brighter Future: Addressing Barriers to Community College Access and Success.” This source discusses basic needs insecurity among students and focuses on Single Stop sites as a part of the solution. It also includes quotes from students who got help from Single Stop sites on their campuses. A student detailed, “‘I applied for [food stamps] probably two or three times and they always denied me. I’ve been on my own since I was 19, living paycheck to paycheck, in between jobs, trying to stay afloat and juggle school at the same time, but they always denied me and I never could get them. … I was able to receive the benefits after Single Stop’s help’” (Goldrick-Rab “Clearing the Path to a Brighter Future: Addressing Barriers to Community College Access and Success” 7). I also used the sources California Community Colleges #RealCollege Survey and Food Insecurity on Campus: Action and Intervention to provide more details on federal programs and their accessibility and utilization.


Food Insecurity on Campus: Action and Intervention, edited by Katharine M. Broton, and Clare L. Cady, Johns Hopkins University Press, 2020. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.proxy.libraries.rutgers.edu/lib/rutgers-ebooks/detail.action?docID=6184603

Goldrick-Rab, Sara, et al. “Clearing the Path to a Brighter Future: Addressing Barriers to Community College Access and Success.” ACCT, ACCT, 10 June 2013, www.acct.org/files/Press%20Media%20Etc/ACCT_Single_Stop_USA_White_Paper_Final_06-04-2013.pdf.

Goldrick-Rab, Sara et al. California Community Colleges #RealCollege Survey. The Hope Center, 2019, https://hope4college.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/RealCollege-CCCCO-Report.pdf.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abstract and Works Cited (Research Blog #10)

Initial Topic Idea (Research Blog #1)

Literature Review #2